Little chocolate cakes
you can melt butter, you can make these cakes. Be brave and pull them
out of the oven while they're still squidgy in the middle, for a dense,
fudgy, heavenly treat.
- 200g bittersweet dark chocolate
- 100g caster sugar
- 120g butter
- 100g ground almonds
- 4 large eggs, separated
- icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Roughly chop the chocolate. Fit a heatproof bowl into a saucepan
of simmering water, and combine the chocolate, sugar and butter
in the bowl. Stir as it melts into a smooth and glossy sauce.
Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground almonds, and stir well. Beat in the egg yolks,
one by one, until well-mixed.
- Place the egg whites in a large dry bowl and beat until stiff
and peaky. Stir a large spoonful of egg white into the chocolate
mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining egg white.
- Spoon into lightly buttered large-muffin moulds or doubled cake
papers, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes
before removing from moulds. Serve at room temperature, dusted
with icing sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to three