Tuna and white bean toast
cans, no waiting. There's something about beans and tuna that's just
made to be gobbled up on thick slices of garlicky sourdough toast.
- 400 g cannellini or white beans, cooked or canned
- 200 g canned tuna in oil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, smashed flat
- handful of small black olives
- few sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Drain the canned beans, and rinse. Transfer the beans and the
tuna with its oil to a food processor or blender, add anchovy
fillets and pepper and whiz until smooth - or crush with the back
of a fork, for a more rustic effect. Finish with lemon juice to
- Grill or toast the bread. Toss olives, garlic and thyme in extra
virgin olive oil, then brush this flavoured oil on the hot toast
and cut into fingers.
- Spoon the remaining olives and thyme on top of the tuna and
white beans, and arrange toast fingers to one side.